It’s no secret that passively observing information that’s being pushed at us is boring. That’s why our eyes glaze over when watching TV. And why people flee from a website that is just text and pictures with maybe a few video clips. One to one-and-a-half minutes… and they are gone. How much of your carefully crafted information (so many hours! so much money!) do you think they absorbed? When so many decisions to buy are made from people checking and comparing info on websites, it’s time to try something different.
It’s time to really engage your audience. Here’s why:
1. People expect it. One minute, maybe one and a half…that’s all of your customer’s time you get. If your site is text heavy, people will spend about 15 seconds. It’s kinda hard to absorb much of your lovingly crafted content in so little time.
2. It improves your SEO. More links on your site makes it easier for search engines to find your site, for instance to forms, webinar registration and archives.
3. Increases time on the site. According to research from AOL, MarketingProfs, and Nielsen, 53% of time spent online is attributable to content consumption and 96% of content consumed and shared is not static.
4. It boosts revenues. When viewers spend more time, they learn more about your product, making it more likely they’ll buy it. Makes sense, right?
5. Interactive sites get repeat visits. See #3. More visits equal more time equals more revenue. Even if your site isn’t e-commerce, it’s still about driving people to buy your product.
So, look closely at your content and start thinking “interactivity”.